Updated: October 2020
In order to operate efficiently, Box of Tricks collects information about people with whom we work. These may include members of the public, employees (current, past and prospective) and volunteers (current, past and prospective).
This policy describes how personal data is collected, handled and stored to meet the company’s data protection standards and to comply with law.
We take all reasonable steps necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with General Data Protection Regulation (2016) and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (2003).
Whose information we collect?
- Job applicants
What information we collect?
- Biographical – title, first name, surname, date of birth, age, gender identity, ethnicity, faith, sexual orientation & socio-economic status
- Contact details – postal address, email address, phone number
- Access requirements
- Bank details
- Record of payments, including donations (payment for tickets and regular donations are managed through a third party)
- Attendance at events
- I.P. address if you visit our website and we store cookies
- Your publicly available social media activity or analytics you provided by social media platforms e.g. Twitter handle, posts and location
- We will only collect this information when there is a legitimate reason for doing so.
How we collect information?
- Using the contact form on our website, by email, or notes of phone calls
- Freelance or talent development contracts
- Applications to talent development programmes
- Booking tickets
- Subscribing to our mailing lists or other marketing communications
- Becoming a donor
- Providing information via surveys
- Taking part in a competition on social media
- From publicly available sources
Why we collect the information?
- To provide and manage services, such as attendance at free and charged events through third party partners (eg: Eventbrite).
- To fulfil a contract (e.g. contract information or to make payments)
- To manage contact with, and provide information to, donors.
- To communicate news about Box of Tricks, productions & programmes.
- To send invitations to our events.
- To understand the makeup of our audiences.
- To provide an appropriate environment, schedule, or level of support to participants in engagement or talent development activities.
- To respond to emergency situations appropriately for freelancers, or participants in engagement activities and their emergency contacts.
How we store your information?
- Data collected electronically (by booking an event, signing up to a workshop or singing up to our newsletter) will be stored electronically on our servers and password protected.
- Data collected physically (by audience feedback forms from productions and workshops) will be transferred to an electronic database on our servers and password protected. Once processed, physical data will be destroyed on site.
Personal Identifiable Data:
- Full address and post code
- Contact number
- Email address
Special Category Data:
- Bank details
- Information based on personal characteristics: disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation and/or socio-economic background
In the case of ‘personal identifiable data’ and ‘special category data’, we will ensure that the following additional condition is met before the data is processed:
- The individual has explicitly consented to the processing of this data.
Box of Tricks will take every precaution to protect your information. To this end all Personal Information stored by us is kept on online servers in a secure environment and password protected. Save as agreed by you for marketing purposes, only employees and approved contractors we may appoint, and who need the information to perform a specific job, are granted access to personally identifiable information.
Box of Tricks will not sell, rent or distribute or otherwise make commercially available to any third party any of the personal data collected, except as described above or with the individual’s prior consent.
Box of Tricks will only share your personal data with 3rd parties for the purposes of fulfilling a partnership or project, in this case we will ask for your explicit consent.
We will ensure that:
- Everyone managing and handling personal information understands that they are responsible for following good data protection practice
- There is someone with specific responsibility for data protection in the organisation
- Staff who handle personal data are appropriately supervised and trained
- Queries about handling personal data are dealt with promptly
- Methods of handling personal data are regularly monitored and evaluated
- Data is regularly reviewed and updated if it is found to be out of date. If not longer required, it will be deleted and disposed of.
- The company takes all necessary steps to ensure that personal data is kept secure at all times against unauthorised or unlawful loss or disclosure
You have the right to request copies of any of your data held by Box of Tricks, to have your data rectified or erased. If you would like to request this, please e-mail Max Emmerson, Data Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org or to Max Emmerson, c/o Box of Tricks, 52 Brundretts Road, Manchester, M21 9DE. We will respond to all queries within 30 days.